Monday, December 24, 2007

Funeral Potatoes

Sandy had asked us to post the recipe I used for the funeral potatoes I made the other day. I'm not sure why they're called funeral potatoes. The first time I ever had them was when I was on my mission, right before I came home. They had a big dinner for the missionaries, and we had these potatoes. They're really easy.

Funeral Potatoes
1 bag (30 or 32 oz) frozen hash browns (I like the little square ones better for this recipe)
2 ten oz cans cream of chicken soup
1 pint sour cream
1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 tbl (or a little more if you like) dried onion (or equivalent fresh onion)
1 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt (like Johnny's)
3/4 teas. garlic powder or salt
1/2 teas. onion salt or powder

Then the recipe called for a corn flake crust, which I find nasty, so I don't do that.
Mix everything but the potatoes in a bowl. Add the hash browns, and stir it all up. Spread in a 13x9 or slightly bigger pan, and bake at 350, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes, or until everything is bubbling nicely, and the potatoes are cooked through.

This is SO easy to make, and I think really yummy. Its not fantastically healthy, but if you're wanting to make something to take that's easy and filling, it works good. I like them a lot. A lot of people use the shredded hash browns, but I got the square ones because they were on sale, and that's what Safeway had, and I liked them much better, they had a better texture, but took a little longer to cook.

So those are funeral potatoes! Quick and easy. :) Love Alicia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home