Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Festevus

We here in Alaska decided today to celebrate that old favorite - Festevus. It is a made up holiday from the Seinfeld show. Brian has been watching Seinfeld reruns in the afternoon - he had never seen the show more than once or twice when it was in primetime.

They had the Festevus episode this month, but we didn't watch it, so we were a little sketchy about some of the details. Brian did find a really nice Prime Rib roast that he cooked up for us today and then there is something in the festival about the "airing of the grievances" and then people wrestle. We kept threatening to start the "airing of the grievances" but in the end, we dipped candy instead.

We finally have snow and blizzards and it is good everyone can stay inside if they want to - and Justin can go outside and play in the snow, cuz he wants to. The dog is happy, the cat - not so much. I'm just thankful that Justin and Alicia discovered the holes in my bedroom walls this summer and patched them up. There are times now that it will be blowing and blizzarding and I won't even know it.

I have had phlebitis for about a week now - so have had to cancel all my plans and put off sending my Christmas cards and letter and finishing some gifts. I thought that if I was really patient and stayed off it like I should, I would be well by Christmas. It doesn't look like that will be the case, but at least I am home and not in the hospital for Christmas, so I guess my efforts paid off a little. It is driving me crazy to not be able to be on the computer or piano or anything. I was supposed to play the organ for church today and help in the nursery and I had to have people cover for me - Thank you Laura and Angie - and I missed the church Christmas party. Alicia made the best green pistachio pudding salad and the best funeral potatoes I have ever eaten... two great Mormon classics that she has mastered. Are Mormons really the only people that eat those 2 foods??

Anyway, they have lots of plans to bake tomorrow.... you know we have our cinnamon roll and breakfast for Christmas eve dinner and then we have a ham for Christmas. Justin is going snow machineing with a guy from work who just got divorced and is alone for Christmas. I'm testing my blood sugar about 8 times a day to keep a really close tab on it for the next few days. I have found a couple holiday favorites that a diabetic really should avoid (Muddy Buddies, for instance - which I DON'T understand... they are just chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate chips and powdered sugar. I would have thought that goodness of the whole wheat cereal and the peanut butter would have cancelled out the bad chocolate and powdered sugar, but NO.) sheesh Anyway for all you diabetics out there, just FYI - they will make your sugars sky rocket fast.

We never did get our tree decorated. We got 3 of those giant silver balls that are popular this year and we put a couple presents in the branches and called it good. I finally figured out it was because my house has been so disorganized and messy this year, that the thought of dragging down boxes of small, cluttery, busy, fuzzy objects and adding them to my living room would just be the last straw... So after I had figured out why I didn't want to decorate, Alicia was cool with letting me just have my pretty, green, plain tree in the middle of the living room.

Well, I'm not supposed to be sitting upright and being on the computer, so again, I will wish you all a Happy Festevus and now that is is after midnight - A Happy Christmas Eve to you all, as well. Love, Charlotte

2 Comments:

Blogger Grandma Marilyn said...

Well its 3.30a.m. and here I am wide awake
just like a kid can't sleep before Christmas. Its the pits when your leg flares. Mine has been bad but I have been icing it three times a day and it looked good but tonight I guess I over did. One thing that shoots my sugar up is Cheese Cake. Funny Huyuh! Ten years from now nobody will remember what did or didn't get done. Love you mother

2:31 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Hey there, so I know green pistachio pudding salad (and yes, I think its safe to say that only Mormons eat it). but what makes funeral potatoes funeral potatoes. Could you or Alicia please post the recipe?

Actually, with my first year with an artificial tree, I think the idea of a naked fresh tree sounds fabulous.

Thanks, and much love to you, and good luck with your leg. Merry Christmas, Sandra

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home