Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas the year Earlene was born

I've been thinking a lot about the Christmases of childhood lately, I think cuz of Dad being gone.
Anyway, I thought I would start with Christmas 1955, the year Earlene was born. We were still living on Ashland Avenue. I'm pretty sure mom and Earlene were in the hospital for 2 or 3 days, so it would have been the 22nd or 23 when they came home. We waited to set up the tree and everything so everyone could be there. There was a big drama because Baby Jesus was lost in the process of setting up the manger. We found him , but he had a chip. We covered him up w a little blanket so it wouldn't show. That year Earl and Eileen gave the three kids (5, 3, newborn) a real slate chalkboard--the easel kind with two sides to write on. I still have the santa in a silver slipper that they tied to the board as decoration. I remember our talking about how special it was that we had a little baby at home, born so close to Jesus's birthday. . .

2 Comments:

Blogger jed-laura said...

I never heard stories of mom's birth before, so it was fun to think about that when reading your note.

11:52 AM  
Blogger The Rhiens said...

Thanks for sharing this...I have never heard it either, Jed. Love you all!

Love, Earlene

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home