Saturday, December 23, 2006

It's 9pm and I just started

decorating my tree. After a 90 minute struggle last night that left the tree standing at a 30 degree angle in two directions (and remembering that a friend had my super lopers, so I couldn't cut off the big branch that made the tree sit crooked) and a busy day today, I finally shimmed up the tree stand itself on one side, and then tied the tree with fishing line to a nail in the door jamb until the tree stood straight. It will only be up for a week or so anyway. . . So I've got most the lights up; just the two strands of minis to go. On my five foot tree I have three strands of the big old lights, with some clear blinkers interspersed, a long strand of those multicolored pearl lights they came out with last year and a strand of those smaller "flame" bulbs. Oh and the strand of the bubble candles across the middle. So I still have the white and colored minis to put on, and then its time to start jamming on the ornaments. I used to go for all white minis, but as you can see, I have veered far toward loud and gaudy. I live in a neighborhood with immigrants from all over the world, and they decorate their houses will all sorts of colored lights all jammed together, and I have been charmed by the sincerity of it all--it seems more heartfelt than all those tasteful clear lights carefully outlining the shapes of the roof. . .

I am drinking silk soy egg nog (really not bad, and for you wwers, it's got lots of fiber in it!) mixed with 3/4 soda water. It's like diet icecream--as long as you don't think about it too much it almost passes for the real thing.

I already cleaned the crab meat from the bodies of six big crabs, leaving the legs for tomorrow so I could start working on the tree.

I am so liking this christmas blog. I miss the voices of Blake and Johanna but am glad that so many have participated. I hope we keep it up through til the new year!

I thought we were going to buy a digital camera today so I could post some photos, but instead we went and got new towels for our newly painted bathroom at a special sale. Eventually. . . .

Love to you all, Sandra

2 Comments:

Blogger jed-laura said...

Laura and I have been enjoying the Silk Soy Egg Nog, too. Just 2 WW points for a small glass, and Laura can drink it despite her milk allergy.

I'm glad that you decided to put up the tree, even if it is Christmas Eve. :)

Much love, Earlene

11:12 PM  
Blogger Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Our tree was the last thing we did, and I really wasn't sure if I would even bother, but in the end I just couldn't do without the tree, I knew when it came down to it I would be sad. We did forgoe the lights though, there just weren't enough sockets. Too bad we can't see your decorations, I bet they are beautiful! love you.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home