Monday, December 08, 2008

Surprise!

A friend and I decided on Thursday night to make a VERY quick trip to Salt Lake City over the weekend. The trip was on again off again a few times between Thursday evening and Friday afternoon. But, we finally left for Provo at about 6:00 PM on Friday evening. My friend, Diana's husband and son came with us. They dropped me off at a hotel in Provo at 1:00 AM on Friday night/Saturday morning. I got up early the next day, rented a car, did some shopping and headed up to Salt Lake City. I walked in to mother's room at the nursing home wearing a Santa hat and bearing small gifts. She was working on making Christmas decorations for her door when I came in and she had her back to me. Boy was she surprised when she turned around! We laughed and cried, opened presents and enjoyed a treat from the bakery. What a whimsical, fun day!

By going to Utah I missed the annual luminarias at the college here in Farmington. It is my favorite day of the year in Farmington. So, I was a little sad missing it. But then I decided that I could make up for that by seeing the lights on Temple Square in SLC. So, I headed down that way just as the sun was going down. Me and a million other people. Downtown is pretty torn up right now and there is TONS of construction and not enough parking. I FINALLY found parking and enjoyed a beautiful hour on Temple Square/Joseph Smith Memorial Building. Ahhhhh! It had been several years since I'd been able to see the lights on Temple Square. It was a wonderful treat.

From there I headed south and visited with Dad and Carole for a couple of hours. I think they almost didn't let me in, 'cause it was dark and they weren't expecting anyone at the door. But, when they heard my "ho,ho,ho!" and saw my hat, they decided to open the door and let me in. Fun stuff!

What a serendipitous and magical day it turned out to be for me. We came back on Sunday, arriving back in Farmington just before 4. A very quick, but very fun weekend. Here's a parting shot of Mom in front of her cheery holiday door...and a wish from her to all of you (She could sure use a better videographer, huh?)

1 Comments:

Blogger jed-laura said...

FUN!

I wish I was there too! I bet that was a wonderful surprise! I know I would be happy to find you caroling on our doorstep!

We love you all.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home