Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Sandra's answers

. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Eggnog, definitely. I've even found a soy alternative that's pretty good, even mixed with soda water so it isn't so sweet.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
No kids, so Santa doesn't come to our house
3. Colored lights on tree/house or clear?
I used to be a fan of clear, but now I have switched to a crazy potpourri of different colors, kinds, sizes--round and pointed, mini and large, clear and frosted, blinking and solid
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope
5. When do you put your decorations up?
Well, I never took down the outside lights or the swag over the dining room sliding doors, though I did refrain from burning the lights over the summer (except for the 4th of July). I leave the outside lights on until daylight savings time starts, so that when I come home in the dark I have those cheery lights to greet me. We have that ornamental cement block work with the petal shapes along the supports to our porch, so it l0oks sort of like stained glass with the bulbs shining out of the individual spaces.
I did my winter holiday arrangements in the copper vases beside the fireplace last weekend.
I usually decorate my tree sometime around the 15th. The painters will be here all next week, so we will see what impact that has on the decorating thing. . .
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Fresh comice pears and blue cheese, smoked salmon
7. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
All kinds of lights, and then loaded with ornaments, plus red bead and gold star garlands. Ornaments are either shiny or handmade. Some from my past and from Susan's. I have the beatup old Santa that hung on Grandpa Whisler's tree when he was a kid and some of the ornaments from our childhood tree. Themes--frosted fruits, pinecones, bells, musical instruments, angels, trains, bears, corndoll girls, glass
8. When Did you learn the truth about Santa?
When I was six or seven. Janine told me, and then I stayed up and snuck a peak at my parents arranging the presents. I remember what I got--a little table with two chairs and a viewascope that looked at these rings of slides in 3-D.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We used to. Now we celebrate with Susan's fam on Christmas eve at Linda's house (where we eat Indonesian sate), so we open presents there (we draw names)
10. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
I must have been 10 or 11, and Father had been in Houston on storm all fall. He came home just before Christmas. So we got a tree late and did it all in a rush. It was so fun to have him home, and he brought me carved leather shoes and A TRANSISTER RADIO!!!!!!!!! I loved that radio--I would fall asleep everynight with the earplug in my ears, listening to rock n roll.
11. Can you ice skate?
Hah. No
12. Do you remember your favorite gift?
That's hard. My bicycle when I was six. The eight champaigne glasses when I was 22.
13. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
The lights, the decorations, the opportunity to slow down, the way so many people are more joyous, more loving, more community minded.
14. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Killer ginger molasses cookies
sugar cookies
15. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
lately we've been taking trips to see the migrating waterbirds
16. What tops your tree?
Our tree toppers seem to have short lives--something always happens to them. The most constant is a balsawood Russian orthodox church I made in 1972.

17. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Silent night, and Bruce Springsteens Santa Clause is coming to town
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
Giving, though I used to prefer receiving
19. What is your favorite gift you’ve ever given?
The first full year S and I were together I made us matching pjs
20. Are you ready for Christmas this year?
No, absolutely not, worst ever

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home