Friday, December 01, 2006

More Snow

These are some trees and snowman that I made last year. They are wooden, dad and I cut them out and sanded them, then I painted them, and glued all kinds of doo-dads on them as decorations. There are buttons, snowflakes, gingerbread men (and women), stars, just all kinds of stuff. Then I painted the face on the snowman too. They are about 3 feet tall.
Here's the duck and goose, all snug and warm in their hay. Dixie's in the front, Heathcliff in the back.
They were excited by the warm weather, but they never strayed too far from their shelter. On the upper left you can see their little "house", then you can see the marks in the snow where his belly dragged through the snow. I'm sure it was disappointing, its finally warm enough for them to get up and move around, but then it dumps 6-7 inches of snow on them. :)
Here's how far the cat strayed from the door. He was sure too that he wanted to go out in the snow, but he didn't get far either. He's a big cat, but he the snow was too deep from him too.
Here's our big Santa Claus, he's about 5 feet tall, and he has a light that's in him, which I didn't bother to fix this year. We've always had trouble finding him a place to stand, because he's plastic and he always blows over, so we've had him in storage for a few years, but decided to bring him out this year. A few years ago, before the dog died, he was up on the deck, on the pic-a-nic table, and the wind blew him over, so he was laying face down on the deck, and the dog and cat were so concerned that he was real, and the he had fallen over. They kept nudging him like "Mister? hey, mister, are you ok? its too cold to be lying out here, you gotta get up". it was so funny. They were so concerned. Anyway, so this year, I didn't want him to blow over, so I used come-along straps to ratchet him to the deck, one holding him one way, the other holding him the other, so that no matter which way the wind blows he should be good to not fall over.
The pictures are all blue, except the inside one, because of the time of day it was, and where the sun was. That time of day, everything turns sort of blu'ish because of the way the sun is being filtered as it goes down. Its really pretty. Right after this stage, everything turns reddish, then dark. Its kind of a neat phenomenon.

So these two posts are our snow pictures. Hope you liked them. Love you all! Alicia

5 Comments:

Blogger jed-laura said...

Hey now,
Thanks for sharing. I love the big sculptures you made. And the stuff about the blue light is really cool.
I'm glad I don't live there though--just looking at pictures of snow make me feel anxious and my stomach clenches up. . .

Guess I'm a wuss.

Love, Sandra

10:16 PM  
Blogger jed-laura said...

I love your snow! It's beautiful.
You may be the only ones this Christmas with snow? Probably Paul and Nicole have some, and maybe those from Utah?

We love you lots, and wish we could be there with you to have a snowball fight with you. :)

8:42 AM  
Blogger The Rhiens said...

Ok...I know that I am the one who asked for the pictures, but somehow seeing them makes me feel cold. Maybe it is because we are down in the teens tonight and it is windy and it was too cold to spend much time at the luminaria festival at the college tonight. I am going to wait a little longer, until the crowds die down and drive through and see them again. It was just too cold to spend much time on foot. But, thanks for your snow photos.

Love, Earlene

8:52 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Cute snowman and trees! I really need to get down and make some fun decorations. It seems like the Christmas season is always so busy that I don't get the crafts done that I'd like to. Then I have intentions of making some holiday decor during the rest of the year....but you know how it goes - good intentions.....

But it does look chilly in those pictures!

12:51 PM  
Blogger jed-laura said...

Thanks! Makes us feel like we're there.
My favorite part of this blog is Christmases past! I found the story of the dog & cat and your Santa pretty funny.

Lots of Love, Paul

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home