Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Joanna's answers

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
• Hot chocolate – Stephen’s brand. Either mint truffle or hazelnut
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
• Some of both. The really big stuff we just put under the tree, or by our stockings, but sometimes Santa wraps other stuff so we can spend more time opening presents.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or clear?
• CLEAR. Although this year our neighborhood has a lot of colored lights, and they’re growing on me. We didn’t put up lights this year, we just have our lighted wreaths and garland…kind of disappointing, but at least we got that up.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
• nope
5. When do you put your decorations up?
• Generally the Sunday after Thanksgiving. However, because we were traveling home from Farmington, that didn’t happen this year…In fact, I don’t even have all of our decorations up this year. I’m waiting for Cory to clean them off (they’ve been in our dusty basement all year)
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
• Hmmm….is it fair to say all of it? I do love our traditional hoagie sandwiches on Christmas day, it’s so relaxed and still YUMMY! I also love a cheese ball that Grandma Whisler used to make (and now I make it).
7. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
• We have kind of a rustic Christmas theme on our tree – wicker garland, rusty ornaments, BIG rusty bells sitting in the tree, wooden painted ornaments. It’s all in more country/rustic colors.
8. When Did you learn the truth about Santa?
• On a sad day in 6th grade….my social studies teacher read us a story about how Santa wasn’t real, but that his spirit and memory are real. I came home totally upset because how could my teacher lie to me!?!? I remember that day being by far one of the most devastating I’ve had.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
• Sometimes we do pajamas. But it seems like since we’ve done that tradition the last many years that I have too many pajamas….and since it’s just one more thing I have to shop for – we might skip it this year for the adults. (I already bought Gabe’s)
10. Favorite Holiday memory as a child
• When Santa Claus came to our house in the middle of dinner to visit us. He looked EXACTLY like Santa, knew all about us, and brought us small presents we’d asked for. In fact, it was because of this awesome memory that I still believed in Santa in 6th grade...(hence my answer to #8)
11. Can you ice skate?
• Not really. In high school we’d go several times a year and it was fun. But I went with the Young Women when we lived in Rexburg and I was HORRIBLE. It was one of the most miserable nights of my life. Don’t think I’ll be doing it again anytime soon.
12. Do you remember your favorite gift?
• Oh I have lots of favorite gifts….but it seems like my favorite gifts are the ones that don’t cost a lot of money, but are meaningful. One year Cory did the 12 days of Christmas for me. He did the sweetest gifts the whole time! But my favorite gifts that year were these little coupons he made (with my scrapbook paper and supplies – and even chalked the edges of each coupon!) There were coupons for time to myself, and coupons for trips to the temple. They were so thoughtful and sweet!
13. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
• Being grateful for the blessings we have, spending time with those we love, and feeling the love our Savior has for each of us. I also love the extra opportunities for service.
14. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
• My mom’s candy cane cookies with a piece of fudge on the side.
15. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
• I love driving around singing Christmas songs and looking at the lights. I also love the excitement of waiting in the hall to go see what Santa brought us while Mom and Dad turn on the Christmas lights and check to make sure Santa came.
16. What tops your tree?
• This year we bought a new rusty punched tin star that’s lighted.
17. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
• Silent Night. Every time I sing it it reminds me of being in Choir when I was a little kid. Singing “Silent Night” with the Northridge Choir always brought tears to my eyes, and still does now!
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
• Giving. I wish I was better at it sometimes…I wish I could give totally heartfelt gifts to everyone….but since I procrastinate so often it’s hard to do that for everyone.
19. What is your favorite gift you’ve ever given?
• I loved the year we told my parents we were expecting Gabe – to see the look on their face when they opened the gift with the card telling them was priceless. I also loved the missionary scrapbook I made for Cory one year, or the quilt I attempted for him a few years ago.
20. Are you ready for Christmas this year?
• NOPE! It’s surprising how un-ready I am this year. But I do know that Gabe will have by-far more presents than he needs! We’ve shopped and shopped for that little guy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home