Thursday, December 07, 2006

Earlene's Christmas Quiz answers

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
That is a hard question for me to answer. I LOVE egg-nog, but probably drink more hot chocolate. Stephen's Mint Hot Chocolate is my all time favorite.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa usually fills the stockings and leaves one big present for each person next to their stocking. I am toying with asking him to wrap the big gifts this year though. We'll see.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or clear?
White lights on the trees--LOTS of white lights. We have two trees. The largest one, our traditional family tree, has 11 or 12 strands of lights, woven in and out of the branches. It takes me several hours to do the lights. It is my least favorite chore of the season, but I love the look and enjoy it through the whole season. We don't have lights outside. We have wreaths hanging outside each window and a fake candle light burning below the wreaths.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Not usually, although we sometimes have in the past. It has been awhile though.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Usually Thanksgiving weekend.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Hmmmm...besides dessert? Probably some sort of Mexican food. We have rarely done a big Christmas day meal, but usually have a meat and cheese platter for sandwiches, so no one has to spend the day in the kitchen. We have a bigger meal on Christmas Eve.

7. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Our big family tree is decorated with lots of lights, and a collection of traditional ornaments that we have collected over the years. Some were made by me or the children, others were gifts. It is quite a varied collection. It is completed by taffeta bows tied on throughout the tree. We also have a slightly smaller theme tree with two types of red glass balls, some gingerbread men, some wire snowflakes, some cute Santas made from long cinnamon sticks, and some red berries.

8. When Did you learn the truth about Santa?
I think that I was about 5. I had just started reading that year and read everything in sight. I had seen a box out in the shed with the words South Bend on it. Then come Christmas morning I received a doll stroller with those same words on the wheels. I put two and two together and figured it out. I asked about it and when they confirmed my suspicions I immediately realized that the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy were stories as well. But, I still believe in Santa. :)

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We just started this a few years ago. We usually open pajamas (but I have yet to decide if we are going to this year). We also go over to Mama and Papa Rhien's house on Christmas Eve for a big family party and we always open whatever we receive from them...and other Rhien Family members.

10. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
When I was in 6th grade I was sick in bed from Halloween until the week after Easter. I slept and rested a lot during the day, which made it hard to get to sleep at night. I would sometimes lay awake for hours. That Christmas we had big blinking colored lights outside and I can remember laying awake watching the lights flash around my room and made a game out of trying to guess which one would come on next. Somehow those lights were a great comfort to me that year.

11. Can you ice skate?
We did as children in Montana. But, I can't skate AT ALL now. And I mean AT ALL!

12. Do you remember your favorite gift?
One of my favorites was one year when Charlotte and Brian and Alicia gave me counted cross-stitch supplies. They gave me cloth, pattern books, a box to keep the threads in, and TONS of beautiful threads. They wrapped all the blues together and all the reds....and on and on. Beautiful!

13. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Family, traditions, the Savior, the music, the smells and the general feeling of goodness and kindness

14. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Candy Cane Cookies, homemade caramels and fudge

15. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
We have a pinata breaking party one night between Christmas and New Year's. I used to make them, but they are now store-bought. It all started when Joanna was 2 years old and we have been doing it ever since. I also LOVE attending the luminaria festival at San Juan College every year, and reading stories and playing I Spy With My Little Eye around the tree.

16. What tops your tree?
An ugly angel...Every year we talk of replacing it. The other tree has a star made of twigs, greenery and red berries.

17. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Silent Night. I also LOVE all Amy Grant Christmas CD's.
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
Both are fun! I love giving when I can come up with a great idea for someone. But, I sometimes have gift anxiety sometimes.

19. What is your favorite gift you’ve ever given?
A Love At Home Needlepoint sampler that I lovingly stitched for Scott when Joanna was a baby. It was just so fun to work on it when he was at school--knowing that he had no idea I was doing it. I also went to a shop and made my own frame for it when it was complete. I also enjoyed a personal history book I made for Dad and a vacation scrapbook I made for Scott. I love giving homemade gifts, although I rarely do anymore. :(

20. Are you ready for Christmas this year?
Not quite, but I am getting there.

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
I have three: Holiday Inn, White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home