Friday, December 04, 2009

Actual countdown to Christmas 2009




We are sort of in our post-Thanksgiving hurry up and wait phase.

The prime rib for Thanksgiving was a great hit, but there weren't any turkey leftovers for sandwiches and middle of the night protein to balance out the pie eating. So that did cut down on the pie eating and we ended up with lots of leftover pies (I know we made way too many, we just couldn't all agree on what flavor we would want to go with beef).

And for the record, I saw leftover prime rib leave the table but never saw it reappear so I think some mice of the male presuasion had some midnight snacks.

so this week, we had to cook a turkey because I was really craving some turkey sandwiches. It was a tiny 10 pounder we had gotten free last year and it turned out really good - moist and just enough leftovers for a couple sandwiches and then it was gone. didn't have to suffer thru turkey soup, casseroles and pot pies, ad nauseum

We are still debating Christmas dinner, but I'm voting for ham and since I usually plan the shopping, I'll probably win....

Alicia and Charlotte went to the annual Christmas party for Relief Society (which is the women's organization of our church ). Alicia made a beautiful set of Christmas pillowcases for her gift and in the melee' that is our gift exchange, she got them back for me. I felt a little bad because she didn't want to exchange the gift I had, but I really wanted those pillowcases. I actually had her take them back from a little old lady, that is how cut-throat this party gets. Those women are brutal.
The week after Christmas, one of our pretend grandchildren is getting married in Utah. We really wish we could come down and see our family and go to the wedding, but it isn't going to happen this year. Wish we could see all of you.

Had a huge snow storm this week, finally. We had less than an inch of snow this year so far. then it started to snow and in 5 hours we got over a foot of snow. It is so beautiful and clean and white and with the full moon on it, makes everything so winter wonderland-ish. And last night, the kids were walking the dogs about midnight, in the full moon, and here came a great big wolf trotting down the highway. Thankfully Justin saw it first and had our dogs hidden so they didn't see the wolf and he didn't see them. But Alicia and Justin watched him for a bit before he heard them and took off out of sight.

What a year for wildlife - our neighbor across the street called a couple months ago because her husband was out of town and 2 great big black bears were trying to get into her front door. YIKES. They ran off and haven't been back and none of these animals have bothered our little farm here.

Still didn't get my tree up yet. There is that window Thanksgiving week, and then it is gone until well into the middle of the month of December, and I had that silly flu Thanksgiving week again.
We hope we have paid all of our homage to the H1N1 for this year and that it will leave us alone for a while. Love, Charlotte

1 Comments:

Blogger jed-laura said...

H1N1 is no fun.

Hope you're feeling better. I think funny gift exchanges like the one you described are always a riot. I never end up with something I want, but that's ok.

Wish we had a few inches of snow :)

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home