Saturday, January 03, 2009

Addition

I should have said I am picking up my Russian reading where I left off a few years ago. I've had War and Peace and Anna Karinna sitting on my shelf for 15 years now and just haven't got around to opening them.

I've read "A day in the life of Ivan" and "the Gulag Archipelego" and "Crime and Punishment" and "Fathers and sons"? and some Pushkin. I've studied Russian history and Russian art and culture and some literature. And I've taken 2 semesters of Russian in college so I have a smidgen of Russian language - and of course, we live surrounded by Russians. I think personally knowing the Russians has helped to understand the things that I have studied. So I appreciate the warnings about "War and Peace" but unfortunately, it is time for me to dig in and tackel Tolstoy. I actually like what I have read of his before. I'm not that big of fan of Pushkin, but I don't like poetry, so that probably contributes to that.

1 Comments:

Blogger jed-laura said...

I agree that understanding Russians and their culture is the only way to figure out Russian literature very well. Let me know whether you recommend reading War and Peace once you finish it. I've started it twice now, and have not gotten very far into the plot before getting distracted by some other book in my shelf.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home