Friday, November 21, 2008

Hmmmm...my favorite things?

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and my mittens...

Oh wait! You wanted to know what my favorite things were about Thanksgiving. So, here goes:

*the immense feeling of overall GRATITUDE that just sort of setttles over me each November. There is just such a feeling of richness and joy. Not temporal richness as much as emotional and spiritual richness.

*FAMILY--whether they are sitting around the table with us, or across the country from us, we pause to think about each of you on the holidays. I love it when we hook up on the phone with those we don't actually share the holiday with physically. I know that this doesn't always happen, because everyone's schedules are different. But, it is cool when it does happen.

*The FOOD...although the older I get the more it is about the people and the less it is about the food. My favorite parts of the holiday meal include: the cheese spread stuffed celery (which we usually eat at home, before heading over to the relatives), the homemade cranberry sauce, the stuffing and the pumpkin pie.

*The growing feeling of EXCITEMENT that the holidays are upon us.

*The beginning of the HOLIDAY MUSIC, MOVIES, etc. (although I have actually been listening to Christmas music off and on for a few weeks now)

*The signal that it's now OK to put up the CHRISTMAS DECOR. I was actually planning on having the trees up this year before the kids came for Thanksgiving, but then I decided that might not be a great idea with two little ones around that might have a hard time leaving them alone. I'd hate to have Taylor or Lucy pull the tree down on top of themselves.

*Thanksgiving means that it is almost time for the LUMINARIAS at the college, the Christmas parade, and the luminarias down by the riverside. Hooray! My favorites!

*The HOLIDAY BLOCKBUSTER MOVIES--we usually all go to some movie during Thanksgiving break. A couple of years ago we went to see The Lion,The Witch and the Wardrobe and it was nice and toasty warm and I was tired from holiday preparations, and I fell asleep in the previews and missed the WHOLE movie--woke up during the final credits.

What signals that the holidays are upon us? The decorations and music in the stores, the upcoming events I talked about above, and well, just a general feeling of excitement that seems to start building about now.

Will I attend the Black Friday shopping frenzy? Probably. I always do. Why? Who knows? It's just fun to be part of all the excitement. Like Joanna said, I'll miss Cory this year. We almost always go together. Even when no one else wants to, like last year. And we are usually up late the night before, pouring over the ads and planning out our agenda. Scott has even gone a time or two. I have subscribed to the Black Friday ads on-line and am already looking at picking up an item or two.

I love you all and will be thinking of each of you during the holidays ahead. Can't wait to see some of you!

Earlene

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

I'll go with you - even if I don't get anything.

A couple of years ago, when N. was expecting Taylor and there was no chance I'd get her out of bed (especially since we were in Rexburg and only had Walmart or K-mart to shop at - and nothing in particular we were shopping for). I actually didn't find anything, except for I knew we were running out of garbage bags and dish detergent. I got some pretty funny looks at the checkout line.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home