Friday, November 23, 2007

Post Thanksgiving report

Thanksgiving was a great sucess. We laughed more than we have in years--Dick and Greg were a great addition. This year's cooking adventure was the dressing. First, when I got ready to add the ground pork, it was nasty smelling and spoiled. So I decided to use chicken broth instead of water to partly make up for the loss of flavor from the pork. I wasn't paying attention and used beef broth instead. Sigh. But it was still tasty. On the other hand, I think I made the best gravy I have ever made (since I only make gravy once a year, the learning curve is pretty slow). We went to bed feeling grateful and loved.

Today after our slow morning, we got up and went for a walk in the marsh--the first time I've dared to go to the waterfront since the oil spill. There was some oil, and parts were still blocked off, but it wasn't as bad as I had feared. And we could see a crew of volunteers off in the distance walking along the beach in their hazmat suits. There weren't that many birds, but there aren't usually at high noon/high tide. So I came back feeling less despair and more hope than I have in a while. Felt good to be outside on such a beautiful day too.

We're observing Buy Nothing day as usual (though Susan might have ordered some things online when I wasn't looking :-) ). It's always such a relief to have a quiet slow day after the focused hustle of the feast. . .

I wish I could see each of you, love, Sandra

1 Comments:

Blogger jed-laura said...

Sounds like a fun Thanksgiving,
Thanks for the post and update,
Laura

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home