Thursday, November 15, 2007

November observances

We often don't get the Christmas decorating done until fairly late in December--it's a really crazy time for both of us at work. But I try to reflect the changing seasons in the decor at home. We didn't even manage a carved pumpkin for Halloween this year. But last week I changed out the tired orchid plants on either side of the mantle and replaced them with big arrays of twisty willow branches and branches of pieracantha, with the red berries. And I got rid of the tired (some would say rotting) gourds on the mantle and buffet and replaced them with big turban squashes and more gourds. I wish I had waxed leaves to mix among them, but that requires going to other neighborhoods where those kind of trees grow, and I don't see that happening this year.

We are still debating about whether to buy an artifical tree so we could put it up earlier.

I still have a couple crazy weeks at work, but I am delighted to be joining the holiday blog--I really loved it last year. Maybe I will even figure out how to hook my digital camera up to the computer and post some pictures (now, now, before you start to snicker, I want to remind you that I had an email account in 1988, which way before anyone else on this blog!)

Love you all, Sandra

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

I know we had this discussion last year... but I vote you get the artificial tree. Remember how the real tree sat in a bucket of water for so long :) - P.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Blake said...

Hey, I got mine in 89...oh wait I'm old now :)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I had to wait until 97 for my email address.....I guess I'm just a baby :)

I totally vote for artificial trees. It's great beacuse clean-up is non-existant, you don't have to keep up on them by watering, no worries that they'll catch on fire because they're too dry, you don't have to worry about seeting it up in the corner to cover up the back off the tree that's not quite so pretty...and you can set it up when YOU want to, and take it down when YOU are ready to. We got a gorgeous pre-lit tree last year and I can hardly wait to put it up! There are so many lights on it, and they're perfectly spaced, and don't require hours of work. To me it's a no-brainer - go artificial! :)

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home